FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Washington to Peru and Machu Picchu on COPA and TACA
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:25 pm
ironmanjt

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
DC to Lima, Peru on US Airways Shuttle and COPA

The plan was to spend a few days each in Lima, Cuzco, and finally Machu Picchu before heading home. .Time flew by, and soon it was time to leave. .The trip started in DC from the airport I still refuse to call Ronald Reagan National Airport - it shall always be just National Airport to me. .US Airways was asking well over $300 for these flights when we booked, but the same flights purchased at united.com were under $150. .The only complication was that because we had the United codeshare flight numbers US Airways wouldn't offer complimentary upgrades with my platinum status. .However, at 24 hours before the flight when we checked in, it let me choose seats in first. .Who knows if this is supposed to be how it works, but it did....

Check-in was simple with maybe a five minute wait, we dropped of a couple bags with the TSA, and headed to the US Airways Club to get some water before boarding. .It was pretty empty mid-morning, and soon it was time to board.

US Airways Shuttle flight 2164
Washington DC, National (DCA) to New York, Laguardia (LGA)
Depart 9:00, Arrive 10:17, Flight Time 1:17
Airbus A319, Registration N732US, Manufactured 2000, Seats 2D and 2F

The flight was pretty uneventful. .Economy looked to be about 75% full, and every seat in first was taken. .Pre-departure drinks were offered, and in-flight there was one round of drinks along with the typical US Airways snack basket full of munchies. .Nothing special, but completely solid for a 45 minute flight. .Of course, there was time for a morning wake-up...after all, this was the start of a big adventure!

Landing at LaGuardia was a few minutes early, and after less than 15 minutes our bags were delivered and we were off in a taxi to JFK. .For reference, with tip the trip from LaGuardia to JFK was approximately $40...and for those of us not used to it why can't all taxis be as easy to use as New York cabs with their credit card swipe machines in the back seat!

The rest of the post is on my blog at this link!