FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter trip to Australia - New Zealand - Fiji with LH,EK,TG(F) and LH,QF,NZ(C%M)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:59 pm
JamesBond_ppk

Part 2

On board the FAs were attentive, but somehow strange. One of them introduced herself by her name, and said she would be taking care of us. Another young man working the C cabin did not introduce himself but did all the work and more. That often resulted in those 2 asking for the same thing at 1 minute interval. The least one can say is that they communicated rather poorly.

We were handed menu, and I requested a blanket. Headphones and pillows were at the seat. No amenity kits were available on this short flight (I asked).

The now usual menu design

Menu

Drinks

Once airborne the service started.

Hot towel

More juice and a veggie snack

Table

Smoked salmon starter, which was excellent

My chicken. The Risotto was very nice, but the peas were very plain.

I was quite full after that, and despite being offered cheese and dessert; I declined.

I have to say that the service was not the best. It was ok, and everything was served properly, but those two FA asked me the same questions several times (I was asked if I wanted dessert and cheese twice). The female attendant was also very clumsy! At one point in the galley she dropped a whole tray with glasses on it. All were broken and it was a bit of a mess.

During the flight I went around and took more pictures of the cabin, the second part of the C cabin was deserted but the the Y+ (Premium economy) was quite full. I also took a nap in the very comfortable seat transformed in a bed.

Bar in the galley

Restroom

Another cabin pic

My bed

Airborne views on arrival

Bended wing and teh 777's huge fan

As we had departed late, and even though we gained 30 minutes in the air, we landed with a bit of delay.

A nice touch upon disembarking; cabin attendants blocked M and Y+ passengers so C passengers could get out of the plane first and clear immigration quicker, which we did.

Other nice touch, but credit to NAN airport this time, before passing immigration a welcome comittee plays music and dances for your arrival. Welcome to Fiji; Bula!

We waited a while for our luggages, they came amongst the first.

Tarmac view

Our bird revealing its Hobbit livery on arrival

Conclusion
That was all in all a very good flight by NZ. Of course, you are going to call me picky, but there were still plenty of small things that could have been done better, but the Hard product improved the experience a lot and made it very enjoyable. It was a good flight experience on a great plane!

Hobbit
I waited until now to talk to you about the whole "The Lord of the Rings" thing that New Zealand and NZ in particular has going on.

You might have understood by now, that this is major business! I mean it is everywhere! The first thing about it is the safety video. Fun at first, after seven segments it got annoying... Then when you arrive in AKL, the decoration of the hallways leading to the arrival hall are inspired from the trilogy! The presentation layout on the IFE is inspired by the same theme! And they even painted an aircraft to the Hobbit colours... Everywhere I tell you, so get prepared!

I must admit, I got in the mood as we visited Hobbiton (the Hobbit movie set, nearby Rotorua), and it was actually pretty cool! Packed with tourists, but pretty cool!

Last edited by JamesBond_ppk; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07 am Reason: Spelling