FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter trip to Australia - New Zealand - Fiji with LH,EK,TG(F) and LH,QF,NZ(C%M)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:45 pm
JamesBond_ppk

NZ526
CHC-AKL

Duration: 1:20.(1:07, landed 13:48)
A320D: ZK-NJQ
M class (no C on NZ narrow bodies), about 60% load.
Seats 1E & 1F pre-reserved but 20E & 20F assigned in Queenstown, changed those to 12C & 12D (emergency exit) in Christchurch

In Christchurch, we had an hour to catch our plane to Auckland. CHC airport is being renovated at this time, and extensions are being built. It is also likely that the terrible 2011 earthquake affected the facilities. The lounge is therefore temporary. There, after a catastrophic start of the day in Queenstown, we finally met an angel. Simone the duty manager of the lounge was extremely helpful. When I quickly told her about our story in ZQN, she apologised for the inconvenience on behalf of NZ, and asked if there was anything she could do for us..

As it turns out, I wanted to check if it was possible to have better seats, and make sure that this time everything was ok in our reservation, included tickets (we were flying on to Fiji after that, on the same booking). Simone invited us to go grab a seat while she sorted all that out. A few minutes later she came back to us with new boarding cards showing seats by emergency exit, and a printed itinary of our reservation, confirming all was now alright and ticketed as it should. She also took the initiative of registering my M&M Senator card (that I used to come in the lounge) in the reservation as my status card, to secure lounge access and priority, and explained she could not register it as my earning card, as we were on an award booking. I replied that I was aware of the difference, and thanked her for doing the little extra thing. The little extra, this is exactly what a frequent traveller appreciates on a trip. And that is exactly what we got. Thank you Simone.

Koru lounge entrance

Temporary sign

Lounge decoration

Seating area

Deserted area, understandable for a temporary place

More seats

Spread

Drinks

Coffee

Boarding was called about 20 minutes before scheduled departure time. Again no priority line, but it all went rather smoothly.

This A320D (D for domestic) is a stripped down version of NZ's "normal" A320, with 1 restroom less in the back, a smaller galley and no personal TVs (but still dropped down screens like on the 737). As a result it packs 3 more seats than the standard version.

Boarding queue

Our bus

The cabin is still very welcoming with mood lightning, comfortable seats and very decent leg room. The overhead screens showed NZ advertising and an another quiz. This time, the video presentation layout was Lord of the Rings inspired.

Central cabin view

Right cabin view

Seat design

Leg room

Lord of the rigns inspiration...

Service on board was again the standard domestic service with cookie or salted snacks, and tea, coffee or water. The cabin crew on that flight was also smiling and in a good mood. Talking and small joking with them was easy and not over the top in any way. Summed up, it was laid back, yes, but not too much.

I noted as well for the first time with NZ, that music was played while taxiing.

Our luggages were checked through all the way to Auckland from Queenstown, and were marked with a priority tag (I had not noticed in ZQN as I was on the phone with US Airways...). They arrived amongst the first, good job ground services!

*A prio tag

Conclusion
Definitely our best experience with NZ so far, with excellent service in the lounge thanks to Simone going out of her way to make sure we were all set, and with a pleasant flight experience.

Last edited by JamesBond_ppk; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:55 pm