FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter trip to Australia - New Zealand - Fiji with LH,EK,TG(F) and LH,QF,NZ(C%M)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:06 am
JamesBond_ppk

NZ647
AKL-ZQN

After a few days in Rotorua and on Waiheke Island, it was time for us to head to the south Island.

The domestic terminal for Air New Zealand has apparently been recently refurbished. In anycase it is very nicely organized. Automated check in machines are present in large numbers, and clearly marked as step one. There is an assistance desk and plenty of employees around. The concept is of course self service. Everyone tags their own bags and delivers them onto the baggage belt, marked as step two. The whole process is fine with me as long as one travels in M, or one is not a FTV. We quickly located the premium check in counter, and proceeded with check in. A lady agent printed out our boarding cards with Eurobonus numbers registered (not that it mattered, as it turned out X class, does not give Eurobonus points...), and 2 bagage tags where she placed 2 priority tags. She also told that bagages must be strictly 23kg at the maximum. One of our bags was knowingly 26, so I pointed out that I was *G and that I had an extra 20 kilo allowance. She replied that, this was not the case and that we should reorganise our bags so that we respect the 23kgs limit. From that point I assumed that NZ had a piece concept bagage system, and I proposed to register a third bag, something she refused as we were travelling in M. Again I pointed out to Star Alliance Gold benefits rules, which she chose to ignore.

Despite me trying to kindly point out that I was *G, she could not be bothered. Since she refused any form of compromise whatsoever, in the end, we had to rearrange or bags, attach the tags to them, and place them on the bagage belt ourselves. That is not exactly what I call premium treatment if you ask me...

Domestic Koru Club

After this episode we went through security, where they were no queue and on to the domestic Koru Club which is very nice indeed.

Proper signage

Lounge entrance

Again there are plenty of different seating areas from sofas, to chairs, dining tables and bar seating. After that the rest is about the same than the Koru club in SYD;.Limited choice of papers (only 3) and.of magazines.

Lounge view

Bar seating

Sofas and chairs

Seating view a view

The food offering was also relatively limited with salads, soups and a curry. This is however better than I usually see in Europe, so it was not too bad.

F&B area

Soft drinks

Salads and cakes