FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays retention offers (all cards)
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:57 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aglasgow
Had the USAir card for nearly 20 years. You'd think they would want to keep a long time card holder with high spends and great credit, right? So I called to request a retention bonus; they offered 1k. No thanks, I cancelled. Now trying to figure out how long I need to wait to apply for a new one to get the sign up bonus. I have never tried churning a card before, so I'm clueless.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html

Most people in that thread report being able to get a second card while they still have the first card. And many people in that thread have reported being able to get a new card within months (6 or maybe even 3?) after getting the previous card.

So, like at Citi, I'm not sure that "cancelling" has anything to do with it at Barclays/Juniper. (Note: Things are very fluid recently, and you may only be able to get a 35k rather than 40k bonus with no annual fee. But it may depend on the exact hour you apply. ) But anyway, all the latest data points are in that thread.

(Some banks care how long ago you last had the card, but others, like definitely Citi, only care how long ago you got your most recent card of that type, not whether you cancelled it or not.)