FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter trip to Australia - New Zealand - Fiji with LH,EK,TG(F) and LH,QF,NZ(C%M)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:32 am
JamesBond_ppk

QF420
MEL-SYD

After a couple of weeks in South Australia, where we by the way had the most amazing time with lovely people, fantastic food, and amazing nature, it was time to head for Sydney, where we would spend NYE before heading for New Zealand.

So, early one morning we headed for MEL where we delivered our rental car back and headed for the Terminal 1 departure area.

Check in process was nice and smooth. The polite and efficient check in agent was in a good mood so all went very fast. There was no issue with sending 3 bags as QF accepts 2 pieces for up 32kg per piece per pax on a C ticket, also for domestic travel.

One thing that surprised me was how the Business line signage is very discreet. Too discreet? Definitely not easy to identify.

Overhead screen showing the line for Business passengers

Boarding card, and luggage receipt

Luggage tag, without a priority tag, but a small indication that we are in C

Qantas Club entrance

Qantas Club MEL

After going through security where there was no queue, we headed for the lounge, where again the highest discretion applies in terms of signage.

Through the lounge dragon, my first impression was that the lounge is huge! It has several different areas with many different types of seating. There is also a paper kiosk / book shop, a coffee place where you can order Barrista coffee in the morning, and a computer zone with iMacs. We sat on the sofas, very comfortable.

The book shop can be handy, as the lounge itself offers very limited choice of papers (only locals), I indeed missed IHT. There are a few more choices of magazines, but nothing really exceptional.

Book shop

Bar area

Barrista coffee, sadly unattented that morning

Barrista coffee area nr 2, attended but apparently unpopular

Sofas

Computer zone with APRON views

Papers and magazines

As it was early, the food serving was breakfast. Pretty much all you can expect from a Continental breakfast was on offer: toast, pancakes, cereals and porridge. No cold cut. There was also a few yoghurts to choose from. We did not a lot as it was still quite early, but I tried a few things, and it was all very decent.

Make your own coffee, several machines located in the lounge

Breakfast spread

Yoghurts, porridge and fruits

Juice station, not very fancy...

The bathrooms are very nice indeed. Modern and clean, with several shower rooms available. There were l'Occitane amenities for sale.

Bathrooms

Shower room

Amenities

All in all, this lounge is definitely on par with the nicest Business lounge's I've been to. Large with plenty of room, and offering everything that a Business traveller would need. I will hopefully be back!

Apron view

Last edited by JamesBond_ppk; Feb 26, 2013 at 7:26 am