FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:10 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by spd476
I wear an insulin pump and I never use the term opt out. I always tell them I can't because of the insulin pump. That's a medical reason, but I always get the patdown. More airports seem to just let me get my grope, swab my pump, and let me be on my way.

Every so often, I get the lecture about how safe the scanners are, less radiation than 2 minutes of flight, less radiation than a cell phone, etc. Those drive me crazy. I've even been told to tell my doctor that he wrong and that I should go through the scanner. It's the manufacturer who says not to go through the scanners. There was a teenager last year at SLC that had her pump damaged by the scanner, so I'm not taking chances.
Exactly. I often get a similar lecture - about safety, long waits for the grope, invasive nature of the grope - as thought the lecture is going to make my physical limitations magically disappear.

It's like a guy with a really bad pickup line in a bar - do these lectures really ever work? Do they really ever make a pax with a physical or medical limitation suddenly go "Oh, OK, I'll just use the NoS then?"