FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:31 am
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
That's also nonsense. You don't have to fake an injury to opt-out and you don't have to demonstrate that you can't "assume the position".

I'm really surprised so many are making such a big deal about "medically" opting out. All you have to say is "I'm opting out." End of story. You don't have to give a reason.

Once you get to the "pat-down" AKA grope then explain any issues you have when they ask "Do you have any medical devices? Do you have any sensitive areas? etc."

It's not that complicated.

and ... I just completed opt-out #97 today at PIT without issue.

... Just counting the days until I get my Global Entry / TSA Precheck card and I can be done with opt-out pat-downs and gropes.
Bolding mine: If you say the words "opt-out" you will be allowed to pass thru the WTMD but you will receive the full grope as opposed to saying something to the effect that you "cannot raise your arm"/"assume the position" (and give a simple reason as to why you cannot) and then you will be allowed to go thru the WTMD where if no alarm, you should (n.b. should) be good to go-tho you may out of "randomness" , receive a full grope-and if you do, ask if it is because you were deemed an "opt-out" as if the answer is yes, procedure is being violated where at that point, you should ask why.

Originally Posted by chollie
Some people say it is by the book, but since none of us has ever seen the book, we really have no idea what it says.

We do know, however, that screeners can and do ignore SOP every day.

Someone also posted elsewhere in this forum: he contacted TSA HQ for clarification on this matter. The reply he got back was that it was up to the screeners to make the determination: alternatives could be the WTMD or a full-body grope, at the whim, er, discretion of the screener
Bolding mine: That they do