FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best noise isolating earplugs?
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:29 pm
dko3tgk

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by arjunrc
I first bought a passive noise cancellation earbud. Based on my experience, you need to push the passive ones too far in for them to work. If you want to go that way, I was told etymotic research was good. So I bought them. It was ok.

I later switched to $60 audiotechnica active noise cancellation ear plugs. They are not bulky at all and found them to do a much better job.

I am a single bag person and these are as compact as any passive ear bud ones.
I agree. I have the previous model Audio Technica earbuds as Arjunrc, and they come in a nice compact case only about 8"x3"x1.5" when closed. Every major brand, Sony, Panasonic, etc, makes active noise cancelling earbuds. You don't have to buy the big over ear ones. The large over ear ones like the Bose are better, but I'm fine with the small size and effectiveness of active noise cancelling earbuds. I also like that you can rest the side of your head on things since they are not big cans on the outside of your head. And i'm with you those bog haedphones, even in their case take up way too much carry on briefcase space.

Noise isolation earbuds on airplanes are not as effective as active noise cancelling because of all the vibration noise.