FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:27 pm
gloreglabert

I'm sure some will interpret this post as just more blogger-bashing, but I really need to call out MileValue for his continued pushing of the affiliate US Airways link. And this has nothing to do with killing deals, or affiliate links, or anything of the sort. I respect that blogs belong to the bloggers and they can post whatever they want and monetize however they want. If they want to push the affiliate US Airways link, there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

What I do object to, however, is acting directly contrary to a public promise. Back in October when he first added affiliate links, MileValue made a big show of proclaiming that he would only promote the best offers, regardless of affiliate status. At the time, I honestly believed him. But every time he pushes his affiliate US link, he's obviously violating that promise, and more to the point, he's actively suppressing attempts to call him out on it. On his latest post today, he deleted at least two (perfectly respectful) comments reminding him of his promise minutes after they were posted. Affiliate link stayed intact.

I don't care what you think of bloggers in general; making a public promise, breaking it, then censoring people who try to call you on it is just dishonest. MileValue is a smart guy, but I think he's making some really unfortunate choices in how to run his blog.