FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter trip to Australia - New Zealand - Fiji with LH,EK,TG(F) and LH,QF,NZ(C%M)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:28 pm
JamesBond_ppk

EK406
DXB-MEL

Duration: 13:25 (12:19)
A380-800: A6-EDN
F class; 11 pax / 14 seats.
Seats 3K & 4K.
Miles earned: 13000 Skywards points.

As there was nothing special and to little time to enjoy in the Lounge we headed for our gate early (earlier than I ever would in Europe anyway). As it turned out, boarding had already started, and it was a mess. No priority line, and everyone was trying to go in front of the others... Chaotic! When we finally got through the second boarding card control we were directed towards the escalator leading on the top floor of the Terminal. We then went through the single upper bridge and we were welcome on board by several flight attendants. That's when we finally got the so much anticipated First Class feeling.

Close up view

A380 tale and Dubai in the background

A380 fan

We were directed to our seats and our jackets were taken and placed in the suite locker. Our carry on was latched and secured on the floor as there are no overhead bins in EK's First Class. That gives a roomier feeling I guess, even though it's a bit unusual, and frankly gives a little less space than the usual bins.

After reading a few reports about EK's F while we were waiting in MUC, we were expecting the bling bling... And yes everything is golden as on the pictures... But it is not as bad as one might think. Sure it's not exactly discreet, but it is not tacky either.

Cabin

My view for the next 13 hours

The famously integrated minibar

One of the FAs asked if it was my first time, and when I said yes, she took the time to show me some of the features of the suite and referred to the specially made brochure for more details. This brochures presents all the details of the suite. Both presentations are a very nice touch indeed, and are very helpful for an EK, A380 F virgin!

My First Class Suite Guide

Welcome!

Introduction

How to stretch your legs? No worries, the A380 is huge!

I was in control!

All in all I think the suites are really nice. I liked the privacy they give with the automatic doors. That's probably the biggest difference with LH, you get privacy even in seat mode. The seat is large and comfortable and is adjusted via the separate touch screen. The mini bar and goodies basket felt first a bit over the top but it actually came in handy. The table lamp is well placed and practical, and there is even a writing kit in the table. It has paper sheets, envelopes and pen.

Straight view in the cabin

Another cabin view

Writing kit

One of the thing which was disappointing was the view. I had chosen, as usual, not to seat in the middle of the plane with my GF, so that we can both enjoy the views from the plane. However, the double glazing and the hull’s thickness limits the view angle and there is basically no panoramic view at all. You have to look directly in front of the window in order to see outside.

The lack of view, made me enjoy the lamp even more...

Direct apron view from my seat

Part 2 coming up...