FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:23 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Willard Washington D.C.

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay,
Yes, wonderful hotel

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard with FHR, received huge Executive Suite. They tried to upsell me to the Lincoln suite, but I declined. The rack rate for my suite is $2799. FHR includes free full breakfast in restaurant or in the room, plus $100 F&B credit. The rest of the FHR bennies are no better than what I already get as RA.

How was the room?
Very large entry way, small kitchen, large parlour with elegant furniture. Large bedroom. Two bathrooms, two TV’s, two mini-bars.

How is the mini-bar
Pretty nice with Moet & Chandon, good (for the US) red and white, plenty of booze, beer, soft drinks, juice and Red Bull. Both mini-bars serviced daily.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Nice bottle of Chilean Red, large bottle of water and a fruit bowl.

How were the TV’s?
Normally I never even turn on a TV at a hotel, but my stay included Sunday's Super Bowl, so I have a few comments. First of all, the size of the LG TV's seemed rather small to go with such a huge suite. They probably would have looked OK in a normal room, but they should place larger TV's in the large suites. Secondly, the signal is analog and of rather poor quality on some channels. Unfortunately one of those channels was CBS which carried the big game. I called an engineer and he gave two excuses. One was the weather and the other was the height of the White House. Neither made sense to me as it wasn't raining and the White House is north-west of the hotel and not any higher than the hotel I don't think.

How was F&B?
Several D.C. power breakfasts going on during my stay. We were lucky to get a table one of the days. Service was quite good. Food at breakfast was fine, but not great. Room service food was pretty good.

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Great upgrade
Historic and interesting hotel
Fun bar (Round Robin)
Nice fitness center with steam and sauna in locker room.
Reduced limo cost for RA's - $95 to IAD.

Bad:
Bit of a struggle with the bill at checkout. It was finally settled correctly with an apology, but you have to be careful.
TV quality

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes. It’s a pricey hotel, but RA combined with FHR is an fabulous value. And the location is excellent as I was able to walk everywhere I wanted to go.