FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Flight Cancellation Policy, How Late Can I Cancel?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:35 am
swdke

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes. No, other than that in my experience the refund request sometimes fails with the phone cancellation requiring tracking it and making a second phone call. Do yourself and Southwest a favor and cancel online.
Thanks again for your reply. In my situation, if I book an award flight, but have access to a buddy pass, I wouldn't want to cancel my award reservation until I knew that there was an available seat for using a buddy pass. So, I'd probably go to check-in, explain I have an award reservation, but would prefer to use the buddy pass, and that if there was availability for using a buddy pass, then to please cancel my reservation. Well, I am not sure how exactly all this would work out, any thoughts?

Or, do I just show up at check-in, say I wish to use a buddy pass. If they tell me okay and give me a ticket, then I am good to go to cancel my award reservation. If they say they are sold out and I can't use a buddy pass, then I say well that's okay, I have an award reservation, let's proceed with that.

What would you do, or how would you handel this situation? Thanks.