FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Flight Cancellation Policy, How Late Can I Cancel?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:37 am
swdke

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Award Flight Cancellation Policy, How Late Can I Cancel?

I have a question regarding Southwest Airlines canceling of award flights. Here’s my situation, I'd like to book a one-way reservation DEN-DAY, and with my SW award points, book such a flight using award miles. Then, I realized I have a cousin who’s husband is a SW Pilot, and maybe he can get me a pass, which they’ve offered in the past. However, the problem with such passes is that it’s based on availability only at the gate. So, if the flight is full, I don’t go. Granted, I only need one seat, and I can't imagin a DEN-DAY being sold out on a Tuesday in early April, but I can't take the chance, and not getting on suchy a flight, well that would be bad. But, what if I held an award reservation, then, if it looked like there might be availability to use the buddy pass seat, then I’d cancel my award seat, get my miles back, and use the free seat. But, I am not sure of the cancellation procedure or policy. Also, I suppose by canceling my award seat, that this would creat availability to use a buddy pass, but I don't know if that would open up a seat that qucik on the gate's computers or not, plus, there may likely be people ahead of me on a wait list.

Anyhow, what do you think? Thanks in advance for your information.

Last edited by swdke; Feb 4, 2013 at 9:43 am