FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:30 am
elitetraveler
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
I hope you understand the difference between leaking confidential information on a possible merger of 2 public companies, including a very high profile brand like AA where its chap 11 restructuring has garnered so much media attention, and the immoral behavior of HP's CEO? Board Members leaking that the actions of the CEO having an affair is not a criminal act.

If you have a case to be made, please provide an example where leaks of a possible merger between two public companies have been publicly known before an official announcement? Leaking information of this kind is a violation of securities laws and very easy to find out who is the source.
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
Yes, it is public info -- companies explore merger possibilities all the time. You will recall this is not the first merger possibility US has been involved in the past 5 years. The "news" from the article is that a deal will take place in 2 weeks. That is illegal. If true, it provides confidential inside information that can impact the stock of both companies.

By the way, noticed that the SEC investigated and prosecuted in the case you referenced. The Board Member was very lucky no charges were brought against him.

Which, according to the article, she later admitted was not true. I am sure that if there was any truth to her accusation, it would have been revealed by now. Very easy to prove as the other Board Members from either company would have the duty to report their knowledge/findings to the authorities. I will sum up her false accusation as a former scorned lover.
Originally Posted by grahampros
You are both correct here. The NDA's are legally enforceable. Are there ways you leak stuff yes happens all the time.
Dear LaxJfkEsq,

My original point was to those that was saying "those in the know" couldn't possibly be an anonymous source on what was going on - and the point was it is possible the sources on the merger had first hand knowledge.

Very surprising a lawyer of any real life corporate experience wouldn't understand that like speeding, leaks happen. @:-)

I was never commenting on whether leaking confidential information to the press is either illegal or immoral. You missed the point.

Grahampros did understand the point.