Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share Builder

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Opened my account on 9/29, miles posted the very next day. Funded the account.

Opened my wife's account on 10/4, no miles yet. Funded in same manner as my account.

E-mailed SB support on 10/10, got this reply:

We're on the case. We've taken a look at your question about your accounts US Airway miles, and found it needs some additional research. When one of our sleuths finds an answer, we'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks for hanging in there!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:42 am

No miles yet. Going to call on Friday. If I need to make a trade, so be it. The price to trade may be high, but oh well. Still can be a $20 buck hit.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
$5 is not enough for a trade!! The commission only is around $9!!
If you do a one-time automatic investment on the first Tuesday the commission is $4. I funded my account with $5 and am now the proud owner of 1/2 share of Sirius Radio. Just make sure it's a one-time only trade.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by mfidelity
If you do a one-time automatic investment on the first Tuesday the commission is $4. I funded my account with $5 and am now the proud owner of 1/2 share of Sirius Radio. Just make sure it's a one-time only trade.
you can do 1/2 a share? what do I do? after selecting SIRI, put $5.00 total which includes the $4 commission? And since SIRI is priced at $1.71 as of today, it will only give me 58% of one share? This concept is new to me, lol. I've been wanting to get in on SIRI, I guess this will help me pull the trigger, for less than a share, haha.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by surftb15
No miles yet. Going to call on Friday. If I need to make a trade, so be it. The price to trade may be high, but oh well. Still can be a $20 buck hit.
I suggest you DO NOT call them, because the 2500 miles are for opening a new account AND trading. The only thing you can achieve by calling is to get the hits/miles of other people revoked..
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:06 pm

I suggest you DO NOT call them, because the 2500 miles are for opening a new account AND trading. The only thing you can achieve by calling is to get the hits/miles of other people revoked..
+!

The fastest way to make yourself a FT pariah is by calling and lousing up a good deal that was previously flying under the radar. Don't be that guy.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:19 pm

Just pulled this off of FW:

Five free automatic investment trades
Use promo code TAF5ANL*073t0C

I'll be funding with $1 and executing 1 auto trade on Tuesday of next week.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by Stubtify

Thanks for that! I have funded one out of three, but have not traded. I was planning to follow through on all because I'm afraid they might pull my hits back later... plus it just seems the right thing to do. Your timely post just helped me save some bucks.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:00 pm

Do you have to do anything to stop the trades after 5 weeks, or does it do that automatically?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:55 pm

Bad news, I don't think the code will help us save any money:

Looks like the minimum is either $4 or $5 regardless of the free trade. They say you need to at least cover the commission. (even if the trade is free).

So if you're looking to invest in something anyway, and putting a good chunk of change in on it then the free trades will help. But if you trade just a token amount there's really no way to sell and get your money back, as selling the shares costs a full $10.

I trade with Schwab, so for me I'm glad the US airways promo is allowing me to try out Sharebuilder, but so far I don't like it too much. $10 is high for a no frills, and their options prices are even worse.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:10 pm

Bad news, I don't think the code will help us save any money:

Looks like the minimum is either $4 or $5 regardless of the free trade. They say you need to at least cover the commission. (even if the trade is free).

So if you're looking to invest in something anyway, and putting a good chunk of change in on it then the free trades will help. But if you trade just a token amount there's really no way to sell and get your money back, as selling the shares costs a full $10.

I trade with Schwab, so for me I'm glad the US airways promo is allowing me to try out Sharebuilder, but so far I don't like it too much. $10 is high for a no frills, and their options prices are even worse.
Options trading isn't what Sharebuilder is going for though. They don't care how much they charge, because most customers won't execute that trade.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:41 pm

I don't plan to sell my share (unless it increases 500%). Bought a share of Office Depot for ~$2 + $9.95 commission. Cheap secure hit.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
I don't plan to sell my share (unless it increases 500%). Bought a share of Office Depot for ~$2 + $9.95 commission. Cheap secure hit.
That is not a bad trade. Cheap hit.
I will do the same, I just have a mental barrier over the commission price.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by HikerT
I don't plan to sell my share (unless it increases 500%). Bought a share of Office Depot for ~$2 + $9.95 commission.
Good luck with that!! I bought National Bank of Greece (quite a bargain this period)!!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:40 pm

Good luck with that!! I bought National Bank of Greece (quite a bargain this period)!!
A veritable trapeze act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.