Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Grand Slam for Non-US Residents" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Last year there was a lot of discussion about Grand Slam planning by and for non-US residents, especially Canadians.

I am happy to report that I was able to get the full 100,000 point bonus last year, even though I do not have a US residence, US Social Security Number or a credit card drawn on a US bank.

Some of the lowest hanging GS fruit requires an SSN, so lacking that definitely puts some of the cheaper hits out of reach.

However, many of the retail hits that "exclude" non-US residents can be "persuaded" into accepting you if you "look" American...

I have friends in the US, so that helps, but I don't want to be an imposition on them. I do have a good friend who allows me to use their home address as the billing address on one of my credit cards. That particular account gets only electronic statements, so my friend does not have access to my financial records, nor does he get any mail clogging up his box (he lives in an apartment).

Most Canadian banks will switch the primary billing address to an American address if you ask nicely and explain, for instance, you spend winters in the USA.

I've been using MBNA for my "American" card, but others I know use other banks. I've heard CIBC offers to change the "secondary" address, but many online retailers only verify primary, or billing addresses, so this may be problematic.

Once you have an American address on your credit card, you can start ordering goods, but many retailers only ship domestically.

I'm in the US a lot so I usually have things shipped to my hotel or a friend (again, I don't go to that well too often lest I wear out my welcome).

For larger items I use usaddressinc.com, which has a depot just across the border in New York state that will accept packages for me. I live about an hour's drive away and pick up the goods after they arrive.

Others have had success sending useful things directly to charities in the US...

I'm also open to arranging pickups from US Address if there is enough interest and I would be very interested in combining our efforts with an FT charity drive if possible...

Non-US residents, post your ideas here!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
wrong! it's about non-us address, not mainly about Canadians!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
wrong! it's about non-us address, not mainly about Canadians!
Well, then allow me to be the first to welcome your tips!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
what has "giving advice" with your wrong initial statement to do? --> nothing

besides, i gave more than enough advice and help last year --> don't remember your contribution!

ps: this, for instance, is a valualbe advice for non-us residents

Last edited by Zurich Flyer; Aug 21, 2011 at 6:35 am
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:01 am

Poster from Canada here, namely the YOW region. I'll post relevant information about getting hits at low cost here when I can.

I already mentioned this in the planning thread, but if US-based Netflix is a hit this year, you might want to consider looking through this website, which explains how to get US Netflix streamed in Canada:

http://www.thereviewcrew.com/news/ho...of-usvideo-ca/
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ
And us Australians? :-)

Hoping that other Aussies might like to occupy this thread to help each other out with Antipodean hits.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by zbender
Hoping that other Aussies might like to occupy this thread to help each other out with Antipodean hits.
absolutely. if and when I figure out what works here I'll be sure to post
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Being in SYD I Need 20k bonus and I'm happy so I'm aiming for about 16 hits.
However I have 4 accounts so need to do this 4 times is going to be hard. I have stays coming up at Hilton maybe rent a car here and there. Also have 4 accounts in audience rewards hope that counts.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Wyndham European promotion

Wyndham are currently doing a promo in Europe whereby you get 15,000 additional points for two stays (you have to sign up for this promo). You need to book by the end of August and "stay" by the end of September.

If you don't currently have a Wyndham Rewards account, you get an additional 500 points if you enrol as part of the booking process. So it shouldn't be difficult to get to 16,000 points, which is two transfers of 8,000 Wyndham points (= 3,200 US DM each). In the UK, you can get a Days Inn room from a little over £25 with a bit of effort, £30/£32 without too much difficulty, which given I value each US DM at about 1p (more or less what you can buy them for in 50% extra miles US promos), means two free hits (assuming you are working on 2 US accounts). Bargain!

I should just add that when I tried to sign up for the promo I was told I was not eligible - though I am. A message through the Rewards website to Customer Services sorted that out without a problem.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:20 pm

Can i put my sisters address in Europe and have phantom stays at those places mentioned?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Can i put my sisters address in Europe and have phantom stays at those places mentioned?
Why not? If I remember you get the wyndham-membershipcard by mail in 6-8 weeks after your first stay, so it would be okay when your sister can get them.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:47 am

Can Canadians sign up for e-miles? This is the link:

https://www.e-miles.com/enroll.do?ic=emiv2

The enrollment form asks for a "Zip/Postal Code" which suggests a Canadian postal code should work. On the other hand, their Member Agreement says "Member must be a legal resident of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands to be eligible for participation in the e-Miles Service."

Any experience with this?

Or should I just use a fake US address?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:16 pm

I fakeD it
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:48 am

Programs: Various
The Miles Toolbar must be possible to use for non-US residents, right?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
Wyndham are currently doing a promo in Europe whereby you get 15,000 additional points for two stays (you have to sign up for this promo). You need to book by the end of August and "stay" by the end of September.

If you don't currently have a Wyndham Rewards account, you get an additional 500 points if you enrol as part of the booking process. So it shouldn't be difficult to get to 16,000 points, which is two transfers of 8,000 Wyndham points (= 3,200 US DM each). In the UK, you can get a Days Inn room from a little over £25 with a bit of effort, £30/£32 without too much difficulty, which given I value each US DM at about 1p (more or less what you can buy them for in 50% extra miles US promos), means two free hits (assuming you are working on 2 US accounts). Bargain!

I should just add that when I tried to sign up for the promo I was told I was not eligible - though I am. A message through the Rewards website to Customer Services sorted that out without a problem.
As a newbie to this, can I just clarify what you mean by "stay"?

Are you suggesting that you can 'no-show' and still get the credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.