FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA New Website So Much Better than UA
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:27 pm
bmr12

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
UA has much more fundamental IT issues to address. Too many stories here of issues which all look to me to be the signs of a very brittle, poorly tested pile of software.

Here are some IT issues I've read about here in the past few weeks that I can recollect straight from memory:
  • Having to stop posting miles for several days because of unexplained issues
  • Two years in a row of many people getting the "wrong" higher status for several days at the turn of the year
  • Changing and missing and inexplicable seat assignment snafus
  • Running promotions, awarding miles, and then clawing them back because the wrong number was posted
  • The infamous 4-miles to HKG in GlobalFirst debacle
  • Being unable to print out an acceptable boarding pass
  • Stuck CPU processing (was this ever working properly? Will it ever? Will UA ever come clean?)
  • Numerous reports of issues actually ticketing award travel on partner airlines, and then not owning the problem

A new web site would be the classic example of lipstick on a pig.

They may own SHARES and avoid paying any royalties to anyone for something better, and think it saves them money, but I really do wonder. The bug fix costs must be enormous, and the hundreds of additional call center staff to field the complaints ain't free either.