FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air China in C is awesome! (PEK-CDG; pro photos, too!)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:19 pm
tommyleo

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Air China in C is awesome! (PEK-CDG; pro photos, too!)

This was the 8th segment of an epic nine-segment, 17-day, six-country trip that went like this: PHL-MUC-BKK-SGN-SIN-DPS-BKK-PEK-CDG-PHL. All in C. (Click on the link to view the routing!)

OK, gang, Air China (CA) is not messing around. Overall, this was the best long-haul C I've experienced -- even slightly better than OZ C with its fantastic Quadra Smartium seats. I have also flown long-haul C on LH, TG, UA, US, and NZ. (I have only flown SQ in short-haul C.)

OK, let's go!

At PEK, there is a dedicated area for C and F...

I did not have a lot of time to get photos at the Air China lounge, but it is a wide-open space and huge. That entire second level is the lounge!

Here's one more photo of the lounge. There is a large selection of hot and cold foods, drinks, etc. The showers are small, but quite functional.

Now we are onboard the 777-300. A front view of the C cabin...

Rear view. Note the large TV screens. They are also touch screens!

A closer-up view of the seats, which also went fully flat and parallel to the ground. I was able to sleep easily.

The excellent AVOD is really worth examining. I love Chinese scroll motif. It's a nice touch...

The navigation function had a high "WOW" factor. Aside from providing high detail and a touch screen...

...it's fully customizable. You can really "geek out" with this!

OK, the service. Top notch. The attention to every passenger was phenomenal. Always pleasant, always wanting to help. Personally, I pressed the call button three different times, and each time the FA was at my seat within 3-5 seconds!

Let's look at the menu before we examine the food...

Chinese selection...

Western collection...

The second "light" meal, served later in the flight...

And other goodies...

I don't drink much alcohol, but I did have some Chinese wine -- which was fantastic. As for the food, I was skeptical. How could could Chinese food be on a plane? Well, let's see. It started simply, with some nuts...

The Prawn Skewer and the Tea Smoked Duck were fresh and delicious...

The rest of the appetizers, salad, and main course were served together. My main course was the Dory Fish Slice in Rice Wine Sauce. Every single offering you see in this photo was delicious. This was not the kind of Chinese food you'd get in a typical Chinese restaurant either. Rather, it was gourmet, hi-end Chinese food: much more refined and delicate -- yet still very flavorful. Also, I am very intolerant to MSG. I had no reaction at all to this meal.

Another example of the wonderful service!

Here is my gf's vegan meal. Unlike many vegan meals which are typically barely flavored steamed vegetables, real thought was put into her selections. Everything was very tasty.

Part 2 below...

Last edited by tommyleo; Jan 18, 2013 at 5:11 pm