FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates New Routes and Changes 2013
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:33 am
CaptainEKAirbus

Originally Posted by planespotterek
Does anyone know anything about a possible expansion in Canada (daily in Toronto and new route to Vancouver and Calgary) knowing that the relations between the two countries are now better?
Emirates is very keen to get further rights into Canada, however until bilateral relations change between the UAE and Canada it is not possible for Emirates to expand. Emirates wants twice daily Toronto, daily YVR and daily YYC. Looking at the onwards connections from Emirates' Seattle route the majority of connecting passengers are in fact going to YVR, YYC, YYJ, YLW, and YEG on Alaska/Horizon Airlines than other US destinations. In fact just a few days ago exactly 30 passengers were connecting from SEA to YEG (from EK), which goes to show that there is quite a large demand for the additional Canadian service.

Check out this:

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...e-3349770.html

We may see a double daily soon
Emirates will most likely announce a second daily flight to DUB, loads are quite strong however the yields aren't, so I'd imagine it would be with a 2 class aircraft.

What about South and Central America, any idea if anything will be announced this year? I keep reading about potential routes to Santiago, Bogota and and Lima but I don't see Emirates mentioning those destinations anywhere...

Also do we know if Buenos Aires will get a direct flight as well instead of stopping in Rio?

So what are the definite new routes for this year?
Buenos Aires is in a difficult position for Emirates to connect with a direct flight as they're still new to the market and due to the long length of the flight Emirates has to have high yields in J and F to ensure the routes operate profitability. In terms of other South American destinations, it'll probably be a few more years before we see some major expansion. I know Mexico City has always been hinted as a tag on to Miami, however I don't know if it would ever happen.