FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Upgrades - Upgrade Anytime - Never Happening
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:30 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by baliktad
If you are:
1) an MVP, and
2) you buy a Y/S/B fare, and
3) there is U space at the time of purchase, then
You will be upgraded immediately. You must be the only person on your PNR to receive the complimentary upgrade.

If you are:
1) an MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K, and
2) you buy a Y/S/B/M/H (Value) fare, and
3) there is U space at the time of purchase, then
You will be upgraded immediately. You must have no more than 2 people on your PNR to receive the complimentary upgrade.

If there is not U space at the time of your purchase but you still meet criteria 1) and 2) for your elite status level, you go on the upgrade waitlist immediately and are eligible for any U space that becomes available (after those already on and above you on the waitlist have cleared of course).

You can always identify whether there is U space available by shopping for the appropriate upgrade fare: in the upgrade preference dropdown, select "MVP Upgrade" or "MVP Gold Upgrade" depending on your status level. A gold U will show up next to those flights that are upgrade eligible and have U space. If you see a U with a slash through it, it means that there is no U space available, but you can still buy the expensive fare to waitlist immediately.
Thanks, Baliktad. That is exactly what I understood. In fact, your generous answers to other questions that I have asked on this same topic were Part of what I based my knowledge on. So my question is the same: if U was available when the OP bought his ticket, why then did he not get his immediate upgrade? What happened there? Why was he even on a waitlist for upgrades (which was why he is upset with AS and how they prioritize those waitlists)? That's why I am confused and want to understand so I don't make the same mistake.