FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A question about applications
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:34 pm
knopfler

Originally Posted by Miss0033
I appreciate the thorough information. Unfortunately as of this post (last July) I have only been approved for 1 out of the 6 cards I have attempted.

The one approval was a single application to the US Bank Olympic Bonus. I already have an extensive relationship with US Bank (Mortgage, joint checking, savings, business checking, etc.) so I had assumed approval and got it.

Since then I have attempted:
Chase Southwest
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Hawaiian Airlines card
AmEx Hilton
Citi Hilton Visa
Priority Club Select Visa

All rejections, and no luck with reconsideration line.

There were mutiple applications on same day spread of 2 days (1 group in september 1 in December), I cannot remember how I grouped them.

Anyway I pretty much get the same response of "Denial of application due to Potential debt compared to existing obligations" which is strange.

CreditKarma says 758. I have never ever missed a payment and only carried a balance once. I treat my credit cards like a check card and only buy things if I can afford to pay them with cash. I have no negative remarks on my credit report.

How can I get back into the game? Before the 2nd group of applications (in December) I closed 2 cards I wasnt using that often in October with credit limits of $7,500 and $5,000 to try and free up some availabel credit and it appears to have made no difference.

My wife and I spent less than half of the amount we were pre-approved for on the house (so we arent stretched super thin is what I am saying).

How can I get back in the game? What am I doing wrong? I have a majority of my accumulated points spent or pending use on upcoming trips. I would like to have the ability to continue accumulation and not be done.

Please help! Any advice would be appreciated.
Do you currently have any Chase credit cards? If so, when you get declined for a Chase card, simply call the reconsideration line and if they won't approve you, ask them to take some of the credit limit from your existing Chase card and transfer it to the new card.