FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:02 pm
SFOFastAir

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by halls120
What they need is to have some of those very experienced and savvy GA's from SFO who are legendary at enforcing boarding order go on a road trip to show fellow employees how it is done.
On the behalf of my fellow experienced and savvy SFO GA's thank you very much.

Note to others; there are a lot of brand new GA's at SFO so if things don't seem to be done correctly a gentle comment of "I don't think that's the official way" might help.

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
What is see happening more and more is that passengers present their boarding pass facedown towards the scanner. After the boarding pass is scanned, the GA turns it over and then sees that the passenger is in the wrong boarding group. By that time it's too late. The boarding pass has already been scanned.
I've noticed this and turn the BP face up before scanning. Fortunately in 99% of the cases the person is in the correct BG

Originally Posted by JGRITS
Yesterday's IAH-ORD on UA1575:

I approached the C-26 gate area at boarding time - 1 minute. There are the familiar two lanes for Premier Access (blue carpet) and everyone else.

GA: "Ladies and gentlemen we are goin to begin preboarding Flight 1575 with service to Chicago. We'll begin with Global Services, military; active military in uniform, retired military, families with small children and anyone needing extra time to board." About 10 people board.

GA:"All military; any other military? How about retired - Is anyone else retired military out there?" (One guy raises his hand) "Come on up sir." (guy goes to scanner and mutters something unintelligible) GA: "Yes sir, retired Marine Corps."

"Group 1; First Class, One Hundred Thousand Mile Flyers, all Group 1." About 20 more board.

GA: "Group 2...(no further explanation)." As I scan, I asked him, "Have you guys implemented the new boarding procedures?"
This agent verbose announcements are not in accord with the standard announcements. It's offer pre-boarding to Passengers with disabilities (that is all that needs to be said). This a DOT requirement.
offer pre-boarding to GS and uniform military (no other words are needed)
BG1 through the Premier Access Lane (no need to announce who is in BG 1 as it just causes confusion)
BG2 through the Premier Access Lane
BG3 through the Economy Lane
BG5 through the Economy Lane
BG5 through the Economy Lane

Who is in each group is not to be announced. In the pre-boarding announcement usually given 5 min prior to boarding you are to describe the 3 pre-board groups, point out that everyone else will board by BG on BP and point out priority boarding for Chase CC holder is reflected in the BG printed on BG. GAs who say more than this must like to here themselves talk on the PA.