FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the India-based airlines: where do I begin?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:44 am
PVDtoDEL

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Reliability is not an issue for any airline in India relative to other areas of the world - all carriers have on time percentages over 80%, and are safe. If you are just looking for safe service from point A to point B, any airline will do you just fine.

If you are looking for Biz class, 9W is generally the best option, with the notable exception of a few Air India widebody domestic services, which have international-style beds.

If you are looking for economy, your choices are broken up into LCCs and full service carriers. The LCCs (6E, G8, SG, S2, 9Wk) charge for things like seat assignments and meals, while the FSCs (AI, 9W) provide those free of charge. The difference in fares between LCC and FSC is usually so low that I find the FSCs a better value proposition, but that is of course for you to decide.

I personally choose AI for most of my domestic travel, with SG as my second choice. Generally, the worst option is S2/9Wk (JetKonnect), because they charge FSC fares for LCC service. The main advantage of S2/9Wk, frequent flyer points, are lost on someone who doesn't fly 9W often.

Finally, beware that only 9W and AI fly out of the same airport as international airlines at DEL, in case you want to do a connection to an international flight.