FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seeking Tokyo wheelchair accessible hotel for family of four!!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:10 am
jib71

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by WheelieFlyer
forums (fori?).
Fora. (Think medium, datum, rostrum, etc.) But I prefer forums. (Hint - If someone asks you for a latin plural, decline).
In western cities there is never any problem fitting it in the boot (trunk) of a taxi and we managed it in HK 12 years ago also.
The challenge with some (most) taxis in Tokyo is that the trunk (boot) is mostly occupied with an LPG cylinder. I would recommend that you get a mobile phone that works in Japan and keep the numbers for Nippon Kotsu (English language line) and MK Taxi on speed dial. If you're in a spot where you just can't get your chair in a car, call them up and have them send a large, boxy vehicle.
a short-list based on likelihood of having suitable rooms, and location.
The hotels that people have cited in this thread (especially those mentioned by LapLap) are obviously a good place to start. There are other lists of hotels for wheelchair users. But they all seem so iffy. Here's one with my comments:

http://www.fukushi-shiga.net/hotel/tokyo/index.htm

Palace Hotel - Central (near palace). Very new. Worth Calling.

Hotel Nikko Tokyo - Awful location IMHO. (Odaiba). Big resort hotel. Meh.

Hotel Intercontinental Tokyo Bay - Awful location IMHO.

Hotel Okura - A "grand old dame" of Tokyo hotels. Great service. Hard to believe it's all that wheelchair friendly. Worth calling for a discussion ...

Shinagawa Prince - Already dismissed by LapLap (see above)

Royal Park Hotel - Location in list is awful. Try the Royal Park Shiodome Tower. It's a new tower. Should have barrier free access ...

Hankyu Hotel Tsukiji - Never heard of it.

Tokyo Kani Hoken Kaikan Yuport - Seems institutional. Avoid like the plague.

Kodomo no shiro - Ditto

Shibuya City Hotel - Never heard of it

Westin Hotel Tokyo - Location quite a long walk from station on West side of town but a very nice hotel. Worth calling.

Hilton Tokyo - Location to the West of Shinjuku. Worth calling.

Keio Plaza Hotel - Often cited in lists of barrier free and family friendly hotels. Not my fave, but ... Worth calling

Barrier Free Pension Subaruu - On a remote island. In Tokyo metropolitan area but not in the city. Ignore.

BTW - I looked at a few sites and didn't see Four Seasons listed on any list of barrier free / universal design hotels. Still, it won't hurt to call them. You will certainly be able to speak with someone who speaks excellent English - and that person might well recommend other places.

What to do:
Since you've only listed one place, are you sure it's Tokyo you want to visit? I happen to think Tokyo is awesome, but there's more to Japan than Tokyo.

EDIT - Some interesting videos (all Japanese) on barrier free access to Tokyo hotels and attractions here:
http://www.t-bftc.org/modelcourse.html#prettyPhoto

Model course (in Japanese) here:
http://www.t-bftc.org/data/flyer01.pdf

Last edited by jib71; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:46 am