FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can you help me work the numbers to become silver...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:53 am
NZ*Trout

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by strtrek
Then LAX- MCO on virgin america,main cabin...My question is:?? do they give SP's for ANZ and how many..I can find the charts but cant seem to find the numbers.
Only StarAlliance partner flights credit SP to Airpoints (with the exception of NZ-ticketed trans-tasman Virgin Australia flights), so you're out of luck here.

I am really wanting to hit silver before we travel home, as then we can apply for UG's??
Once you reach silver (which can take up to six weeks from the time you qualify due to the way NZ's systems operate) you will obtain a single Recognition Upgrade. This RU can be used for a single sector, single cabin, space available upgrade. So even if you were to reach Silver soon, the RU may not be useful for your return trip anyhow.

You can apply for OneUp upgrades irrespective of status, although NZ*S gets an automatic 10% uplift. Depending on your travel schedule and propensity to OneUp over the next year, it may be the effort to get to silver.

General consensus is that Airpoints is a miserly program and only useful for those stuck on fares not crediting elsewhere or short distance domestic hops.