FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Be cautious visiting Morocco - experiences with corruption/scams
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:59 pm
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Typical. It's the same exact pattern anytime anyone makes any complaint about an exotic location. One person posts, "well, sounds like New York/London/Paris/Los Angeles/Peoria/etc." Such a poster has obviously never been to Morocco and/or New York.

And someone else self-righteously sniffs that the OP is obviously a naif and heathen who should just not travel. As if it's illegitimate for a FlyerTalk member to make a negative observation about the prevailing culture in a certain destination.

I have been to Morocco many times (and will be there again next week), and I agree with the OP's observations, though I enjoy it there. The chaos that the OP refers to is part of the fun in Morocco, in my opinion, but it's certainly not a destination for everyone.

And I don't think it's fair to ascribe the culture in Morocco as synonymous with "poverty." I find it more coarse and harassing than countries of similar income level. For example, Syria (before the recent uprising) had a similar GDP per capita to Morocco, and I have found on multiple visits the people there to be friendly, warm, and open -- and none of the "Sellers, beggars, drug dealers and prostitutes harass[ing] you all the time." I don't think that foreigners would have the same trouble with corrupt police in Syria, either.