FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oh for the LOVE of AVIOS - Kevincm goes to HKG with Swiss and British Airways
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:33 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
After finishing up my trip in Hong Kong, it was time to head off to the Airport. This time as my baggage had increased, I decided to take the free shuttle bus to Hong Kong Station. Whilst convenient, it did take its time going around (with the driver stopping off to pick up some snacks on the way). Eventually, he dropped me at the entrance of Hong Kong Station, and I proceeded to In-Town Check in (something I love to use to get shot of the luggage early, so I can focus on getting on the train).

My bags were checked, and boarding passes issued to Barcelona El Prat. From there, I headed down to the platform to board a waiting Airport Express train back to the airport.

Efficient as ever, the train dropped me off 24 minutes it pulled out of Hong Kong Station, where i visited a waiting MTR counter to hand over my Octopus card and get a refund on it. It was then a case of walking up to the departure area... when I remember where I left my fleece. On the airport express.

Oh well, I’ll freeze when I get home... for a few minutes only...

Moving along, I exited Hong Kong, cleared emmrigraiton and security. After doing a bit of duty free shopping, it was time for the main reason why I was here - Lounge Hopping.

Oh, you would as well.

Things have changed however. I’m used to heading to the Singapore Airline Silver Kirs Lounge, or Thai’s Royal Orchid Lounge. Now it’s Cathay Pacific’s range of lounges or the Qantas Lounge.

Well, change is good.

Three lounges were selected: The Wing, The Cabin and The BA/Qantas Lounge... well it would provide some entertainment for the evening

Lounge Stop: The Wing:

I was welcomed to the lounge and invited into a very quiet environment, and made my way in.

Food

A lovely circular cubby hole.

Dim Sum

Food Area

The lounge itself was a quiet area, with some quiet coming and goings. THe food selection was reasonable if picky. But a nice quiet place.

But with so many lounges and so little time, it was time to move onto another lounge. I thank the staff and begun my hunt for the next Cathay Lounge: The Cabin. A Short wander back into the main terminal and a bit of good guesswork, I was at The Cabin

Again, I was welcomed into the lounge and directed to the right. The lounge was buzzing, and in the same style The Wing. This time, there were more bars than not, be it a food bar, a Panini Bar or a Health drink bar.

Bar

Panini Bar

Various seating

Health Drink Bar..

Again, a nice quiet lounge that has buzz to it, with a variation on the food in the other lounge. I took advantage of a bar and made a discovery of Absoult Vodka, which was Mandarin flavour.

I’m not an alcoholic honest - on my wage packet, I can’t afford to be an alcoholic!

Power sockets were easy to find, and the WiFi was of reasonable quality - useful things. The usual food mix was around, of good snacking quality.

After a while, I decided to see what other lounges are around. Well... I love to explore. I wandered off to the Qantas lounge, and wound up at the Business lounge.

QF Business Lounge Entrance

I was welcomed into the lounge, and the member of staff asked “Would you prefer to pop up to the First Class Lounge instead”.

I nodded and was told to head upstairs... where the Qantas First Lounge is tucked behind emmigration. So, yes - I looped around and around... to end up where I started.

I need to improve myself at this game of hunt the lounge - I’m really getting off the scent these days.

Qantas/British Airways First Class Lounge

I was welcomed in, my boarding pass scanned and I wandered into the 3rd lounge of the day.

Wandering in, I settled down, and acted like any Premium BA passenger would do, and headed for the bubbles.

C’mon. What do you think I was going to drink when I'm in a premium lounge?

Looking in at the food selections, it was a mix of nibbly foods really - still for the mood I was in, perfect enough

Drinks

WiFi again was reachable, however there was a minor hunt for power sockets. Why is it that some lounges you have to hunt around for a power socket for a while? Oh well - one little thing.

It’s a nice enough venue, but the lounge felt much more business class than first class. However, it served the purpose of being a place to relax and unwind before a flight. This suits me fine.

Eventually the London flight was called, and it was back downstairs and to the gate area, where my chariot of the evening was awaiting boarding

Last edited by Kevincm; Dec 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm