FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miracle. Mystery. Myanmar! (DTW-RGN/NYU, an RTW: DL F, PR J, 8M Y, 6T Y, TG F, UA F)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:57 pm
leiterk

Probably Bad Myanmar food made you sick not the airline food

Great report. I was in Yangon in June and supposed to go back again on a broader Myanmar trip in January. Still figuring it out. But the last year has been amazingly exciting from a Myanmar standpoint. Watching Aung San Suu Kyi in the US and then Obama going to Yangon was fascinating. I even got invited to a charity event by coincidence in the Hamptons this summer called Burma Rising when I was overheard mentioning I had been to Myanmar recently

But I actually had a similar food poisoning and it rivaled the worst I've had from India and Nepal. I think it's unlikely it came from the airline business class food. Sometimes it can take two or three days to hit you.

I flew back from Myanmar to Bangkok to Tel Aviv to New York. By the time I got close to Tel Aviv I was a bit nauseous. Then I ate a bit of humus et. al in the El Al lounge and by the time I was an hour or two into Delta Business Class to New York I thought I was going to die. Definitely the worse stomach ache in 10-15 years that I could remember. Of course Delta wouldn't give me any medicine ...you would think they'd prefer someone to faint or do other bad things versus carrying extra pepto bismo. In my last two or three hours I thought that if I could make it to JFK I'd get a hotel at the airport versus even trying to get to Manhattan lol ...was that bad.

But still interested in Myanmar though might not eat on my next trip!