FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Around Senegal and West Africa
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:26 pm
ironmanjt

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Hotel Review of Radisson Blu Dakar

Yeah, I know I've gotten a bit behind with this trip, but travel and travel planning keeps getting in the way. .I need to find a way to use plane time productively to write blogs. .That said, on to a review of the hotel I stayed at on my second trip to Dakar, and the second half of my first trip. .It seemed to be a consensus that this was "the" place to stay in Dakar, although some people seemed to prefer the Terrou-Bi instead because it was "just as nice, but less pretentious." .Well, as I just mentioned I came back here for my second trip, so you can guess I was pretty pleased with it.

One other random cool thing, and this had nothing in particular to do with the hotel - but I do think it speaks to the quality of it - is the guests. .One morning in the hotel, absolutely by chance, who did I run into but Canadian PM Stephen Harper! .He was there with his entourage on the way to DR Congo for le sommet de la francophie, so either it was the best place in town or it was the only place they considered secure enough. .Considering the distinct lack of visible security (compared to a U.S. Presidential visit, for example) it was pretty amazing.

Room:

Had a standard city view room the first trip, and a "business" oceanview on the second trip. .Main difference, other than the obvious view was that the business room had a bit bigger desk as well as having a Nespresso machine. .That was a huge help in the mornings, since I don't get moving in the morning without coffee, and having that so easy was a huge plus. .They were also willing to restock the capsules as often as you wanted during the day, so big win there. .Air Conditioning worked much much better than the Terranga, and overall I was pretty happy with it. .Housekeeping wasn't perfect - seemed most days they'd miss one small thing (maybe towels one day, refilling bath gels the next, etc) but a quick call and things were fixed. .Overall, the room was leaps and bounds above the Terranga. .Most importantly, it was cool, quiet, clean, and safe, with a rather comfortable bed and a nice (albeit a bit weak) rain shower.

Oh, and the view from my room in the morning was absolutely terrible on the second trip! .;-) .Well, there was a construction pit at the end for the large expansion to the hotel that is underway, but the noise never occurred in the morning/evening so it didn't bother me.

The rest of the review can be found on my blog at this link