FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:16 pm
jcs27

Successfully received EU261 compensation

Recently, my United-operated flight from LHR->IAD was cancelled, and United reaccomodated me on a flight leaving about 3 hours earlier than the original flight. Surprisingly, even though I'm a US resident, I successfully applied for and received EU261 compensation for the canceled flight.

1. I contacted United Customer Care using a contact form on the website, and carefully explained to them that I was entitled to EUR$300 in compensation because the best offered alternative flight left more than 1 hour earlier than my originally booked flight.
2. About 1 month later, they e-mailed me a PDF form which I filled out and mailed to the LHR airport. The generated form indicated they were offering me EUR$600 (!) in compensation.
3. I filled out the form and mailed it to LHR, indicating I wanted to be compensated by check.
4. A little over a month after I mailed it, I received an EUR$300 check (the correct amount) in the mail.

This was more painless than expected, and I recommend that any eligible travelers seek such compensation when applicable. I didn't make any requests for compensation while I was in London -- it all was successfully handled upon my return.

Now, if only getting a refund for my E+ seat was so easy...