FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 month stay in China, which luggage combination?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:28 pm
oshelef

Three thoughts:

-Whether you are at a hotel or a dorm, you'll have a base. Which means your larger checked bag will get little use. I'd go cheap. I'd also suggest you rethink the wheels if you need the weight limit. Paying someone to help you with your bag at the ends of your travel is fairly cheap compared to exceeding 32kgs. Wheel-less bags also won't take much storage space once you are there.

-Where to spend for quality would be on the smaller bag(s) you'll use for travelling "in country". Having an option without wheels is worth considering - it makes your 8kg carry on limit easier, and it will make you much more mobile for local travel. A bag that you are comfortable carrying with 10-15% of your body weight for a mile or two walk will come in handy.

-"Pack half as much stuff and twice as much money." Or to this specific question, be prepared to buy something there that meets the needs as you have them. I was going to recommend you pack one of the very light small duffel type bags to give you something else you can pack and fit on a train, but I imagine those are easy to get once you are there if you need one.