FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where Do I Start?
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:51 pm
particlemn

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Sundownerz
So many responses! Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.

Obviously I can't go sign up for five credit cards. Student loans incoming! But is it a bad idea to sign up for one card? I'm not sure if they would accept my application or not, but I have had a couple of offers sent to me.

I do have a debit card. Can you get a points card through any bank or would I need to change banks?

Also, I tried to check my credit score and nothing came up, but I have been making payments on a car for a year. Shouldn't that count for something?
i may be in the minority here, but i would focus all your energy on limiting the amount of student loans you take and less energy on collecting some points. you state student loans incoming like its no big deal, many people also think making their min payments on a credit card and paying alot of interest is no big deal, its beacuse of the general populations attitiudes like this that the banks are so profitable and they want to entice new customers with these great sign up bonuses. many of us here are able to ake advantage becasue we have steered clear of making interst payments. you might be better off as a student to focus on limiting what you spend, finding part time work, and using some of that cash to both take fewer loans and pay for cheap tickets to your desired destination.