FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - North Korean Missile test UA835
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyWorld

Originally Posted by star_world
That's not true at all - quite the opposite in fact, all the ones I checked go right through the middle of North Korea. Using 27 Nov as an example:

The flight plan does seem to be skewed in that region but it's hard to decipher if that's a FlightAware issue or otherwise.
So, on that particular day, there is a blue dashed line that clearly shows avoidance of North Korea, but then there is a green line that goes straight through North Korea. Does that mean UA filed a flight plan to avoid North Korea then they ignored the flight plan and, instead, flew straight through the middle of DPRK airspace?

If you look at Dec 3, the results are even more strange. On Dec 3, I see the green line mapping the blue line all the way through the northern area of Chinese airspace, and then, the green line simply stops.

I'm not sure how to interpret this data. But, the blue line shows consistent avoidance of DPRK airspace, and this holds true across dates. The behavior of the green line across dates is less consistent.

Is it possible that FlightAware might not have the ability to actually track the jet through that region?