FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checked at Gate Baggage Lost
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:49 pm
Louie Lam

Originally Posted by dsauch
I am afraid they have no incentive to break the rules. While I sympathize you, the following is against you:
1) Term of Carrier that define UA responsibility (as well as any other airline) that you implicitely agreed to by buying a ticket
2) your word against "unknown" GA
3) no proof of what was in your bag (which is why they only pay by kg)

If they did it for you - why not do it for the next guy who may be bending the truth to get something out of them.

Personally I would never let such a bag go.

Follow through all the timelines for lost bags, follow up with UA.
if they dont find the bag - write a concise and clear email to UA.

Hope it works out for your, but I wouldnt hold my breath.
Thanks for your reply.

So that means they would only compensate me for $20 per kg for my $5000+ worth of equipment? They don't even have a record of how heavy the bag is.

That new bag alone is worth $300 and it was a present from my girlfriend!!! Not to mention the photos I stored in the cameras during the trip which I need to present to my customers. I'm also desperately in need of getting back my equipment for the the job I need to start within this week. I just don't know what to do now!!

Do you mean I should've ignored the staff at the gate and carried my bag to the plane no matter what?

If the bag is lost and they don't compensate me for what the equipment is worth, I and my family will be in deep financial trouble.

1. A project that haven't got paid for (I invested a whole month and over $4000 to that trip).
2. Equipment which is my only tool to make a living.
3. Upcoming projects that start from this week through next year all require this equipment.

I'm so desperately now... will they only give me a $300 voucher after weeks of ordeal? My tears are almost coming out from my eyes right now.