FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Temper blowout at LHR T5 - screeners lying or truthful?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:04 pm
GLEN36

Originally Posted by corporate666
You continue not to address my relevant points and are relying on fear mongering and calls for "we need to be seen to do *something*" to justify the situation.

I'll repeat my points.

It is trivial for a terrorist to insert enough PETN in their rectum and completely bypass ALL of the security being used at LHR or in the USA. Therefore, all of this theater that you support is rendered utterly ineffective.

You realize that orders of magnitude more people die every year on our roadways than we lose to terrorism in 100 years- before all of the current security theater. The problem is that humans are not rational animals, and most people don't really take the time (or have the motivation) to use their brains and think things through... and are therefore more than happy to give away their most basic freedoms for the illusion of security. We could debate the point if the security theater was preventing threats, but it is not. There have been no less threats than before the latest theater, and those that were implemented were not stopped by the security theater. So it's not only ineffective in stopping attacks, but also ineffective in stopping people from trying. A failure in every regard.

You can talk about terrorism until you're blue in the face... but nothing you have said counters my point that the security procedures in place do not stop terrorism.

As for living under the constant threat of terrorism, where do you live that you had to check your car each day to be sure a bomb wasn't on it? With respect, there are probably several thousand people in the entire world for whom car bombs are actually a potential threat, and I have a hard time believing you are one of those.
U.K. serving military (now retired)
I concede that some have been missed, but how many have been stopped?