FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:52 am
vandalby

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC

So the Starwood marketing team's Le Meridien promo has me thinking about giving the Le Parker Meridien New York another shot. When going through the booking process, I noticed the following note in the Special Conditions:

"Special Conditions
Mandatory Service Charge Beginning January 1, 2013

Beginning January 1, 2013, a mandatory Daily Facilities Service Charge of $10.00 plus tax per room per night will go into effect. This includes:

•Wired or Wireless High Speed Internet Access for multi-devices in guestrooms, the lobby, restaurants and the bar. *
•Unlimited use of gravity fitness Center.
•Unlimited use of the penthouse pool.
•Unlimited toll free and local calls from your in room phone.
* Internet access does not apply to meeting rooms or pre-function areas."

I'm wondering what this means for Platinums. With the $10 plus tax, we're likely up over $11 per night in extra charges. Looking at the "benefits":

- Internet already complementary for platinums
- Fitness center already complementary for platinums (Edit: thanks to BigBopper for pointing out below that this is no longer a guaranteed platinum benefit) (2nd Edit: per yvr76, fitness center benefit has not been eliminated for Platinums, just a T&C oversight per William - post #30)
- Use of pool, ok I guess maybe a charge for that
- Unlimited toll free and local calls, when probably 95%+ of Platinums have a mobile phone

Seems a lot like a resort fee, without the resort. Plus at least with the resort fee properties are compelled to provide an alternative amenity to Platinums.

Anyone else seeing a similar "Daily Facilities Service Charge" at other non-resort properties? If any platinums are seeing and paying for it, are you at least getting a tangible benefit?

William, any commentary from SPG on the above?

Note: Per FSU in post #37, a similar fee spotted at the Westin Chicago Northwest

Last edited by vandalby; Dec 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm