FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok for New Year
View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:17 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
How do you East-Coasters get to BKK? Seems like a trek half around the planet.
In the good old days of the SQ-DL partnership, I'd schlep to an SQ US gateway then take SQ, sometimes just to HKG or SIN and sometimes all the way to BKK. I've done MH once or twice and MU once, AF via CDG once. Most of the time, I'm on DL or KE, sometimes getting an ATL nonstop but more often (for award or upgrade availability reasons) routing through a gateway like LAX or JFK, once ORD. Fastest way to do it is DL or KE via NRT or ICN, on which the BKK-ATL run can be as short as 21 hours total, departure-to-arrival, a few hours more door-to-door. On SQ or MH, it can be a whole lot longer once you start throwing in long, sometimes overnight, transits. Longest I've done has been about 45 hours door-to-door.

A good 24 hours of peace and quiet, movies, books, decent food and drink, sleep, sudoku, FlightTracker and all that, with no emails / phone calls / BlackBerry can be a really nice respite from everyday life.

Oh, how I wish I could do this on SQ again.