FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclaycard closed my NFL card due to "too many accounts opened for OTHER banks."
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:37 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awkmaster
Citi: 3 personal + 1 business
Amex: 3 personal
Chase: 3 personal
Originally Posted by awkmaster
Yeah, I learned my lesson. Thought I was being conservative with the credit card signups myself, but apparently not in the eyes of Barclay.
The other point is that Barclays is not on your list.

I've had cards closed by Barclays for inactivity (during the height of the credit crisis a few years ago), but they kept the one that I was using actively (even though not every month) open. I'd had that one for several years before.

I think Barclays treats you better if you have a continuous history with them, but even then they are a bit tougher. (By comparison, during that downturn, Chase cut down the credit on a couple of my cards to the bonus, noting that I was using very little credit on them, which was true, but didn't cancel any. But then I never had any cards as inactive with Chase as with Barclays.)

So I can imagine how much tougher they would be for someone with no continuous history with them.

So perhaps it's not your schedule, but what you go after. I mean, what's special about an NFL card, it's just another points card, right?

How do you know they would still have cancelled it if you hadn't kept it in a drawer between promos? There has been talk out there that credit card companies in genearl (without getitng into specific ones) are trying to fiugre out ways of finding people who get cards only for the bonus and never use them for anything else. To the points that those of us who've heard about it recommend at least lightly using such cards for no-bonus-at-all stuff. (If Barclays is watching for that, the promo they targeted you for about the extra 20k may have been in a sense a "trap". I'm not saying it was designed as one, but someone at the bank may been following your participation in promos vs your use of the card outside promos, and seeing another example of you following only promos verified, that may have put a black mark on your account.

Credit card companies rarely make a decision on one factor alone. They don't have to list every factor though. So it could have been "too many accounts opened for other banks" while not using their card much besides for promos.

(My further opinion on the "only for bonuses" issue: A bank whith which you have a card you use at least semi-regularly is likely to not care as much if you occasionally apply for a card which gives you a bonus but you end up not using it after that and then cancelling. But a bank which only experiences the latter and frequenly is not as likely to take it as kindly. Now, the unkindness could take vairous forms: Milder forms might be giving you smaller credit lines, perhaps so small as to make doing spend thresholds difficult! But that's sitll milder than denying you or issuing a card but then revoking it later.)