FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:39 pm
NYBanker

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
I'm just wondering if anyone has taken the time to analyze the $ savings from buying VR cards with a rewards CC vs. the cost of gasoline, depreciation, or bus/subway fares per trip and the value of your limited amount of time on earth to do this.

For example, say I use the Amex HH card at CVS and get 6 HH points per dollar and purchase $1,000 in VR cards on one trip (any more and you could be asking for trouble). I net $0.005 x 6 x 1000 = $ 30.00 minus the $3.95 reload fee x 2 = $22.10. Maximum net value to me per month = 5 x $22.10 = $ 110.55.

To me, it's worth it because I live 2 blocks from a CVS with the VR cards, so I have no other out-of-pocket costs and the time I spend is minimal (plus it's additional exercise I need).

I know some of you use VR purchases to meet minimum spending requirements. That's not in my analysis and that's only a temporary need and not something you would use BB for ongoing into the future.

What do the rest of you think?
Cc -> bb is a marginal scheme. I usually get 4-6 cpm on miles for tickets I'd otherwise pay for...and cvs is very convenient for me (drive past it every day...during quiet periods at the store)....so this is net positive...but if it were a big time hassle, then it wouldn't be worth it.