FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My End of Year Push to 1K (34K EQMs in 1 Month)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:30 pm
trekwars2000

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Flight #6: SAN-LAX, UA 6342, EMB120, N284YV, N/A Ch9
Scheduled: 900p-955p Actual: 855p-9xxp. Flight on-time, upgrade n/a
Flown Miles: 500 EQMs Running Total: 72809 Delta to 1K: 27191

My reviews of the last two flights back to Vegas will be pretty short. I’m now typing this from the A gates lounge in EWR. Thank god I have lounge access because the A gates are a freeking zoo. After deplaning in SAN, assuming the door didn’t shut early, I had about 25 minutes to catch my 9pm flight. After I let the GA that met the plane know to call over to the commuter terminal to let them know there was a connecting passenger going over, he said “oh good luck” and didn’t bother to let them know.

Long story short, the red inter-terminal bus was not going to get me there in time because the arrivals area was a mad house. At the terminal 2 shuttle bus stop I could see terminal 1 and figured the only shot I had was to power walk/jog to make it. As I got to the commuter terminal it was 0850 and my name was being paged. The TSA rep yelled to the gate that I was here. Apparently they didn’t hear it because as I got to the gate the GA said “oh crap” and then proceeded to let me board anyway. I probably got onboard at 0853p. A very uneventful 30 minute flight had us into LAX on time. Don’t know why the GA wouldn’t have just called over to let them know there was a connecting passenger…

Flight #7: LAX-LAS, UA 1445, 737-900, N38458, N/A Ch9
Scheduled: 1045p-1201a Actual: 1114p-1226a. Flight late, upgraded at 20ish hours before
Flown Miles: 500 EQMs Running Total: 73309 Delta to 1K: 26693

As one can imagine this flight is now a blur. While I didn’t spend much time in the gate area when I boarded I quickly discovered that they were oversold by 17 (yes 17). The guy next to me in first was livid and spoke with a supervisor because they never asked for volunteers. Ironically he was on a mileage run himself and was being routed LAX-LAS-IAH-TPA and would have much preferred to be on the LAX-IAD redeye.

Not sure what the delay was about but it put us into Vegas about 30 minutes late.

Flight #8: LAS-EWR, UA 1111, 737-800, N73270, N/A Ch9
Scheduled: 0600p-159p Actual: 553a-134p. Flight on-time, not upgraded #2 on list
Flown Miles: 2226 EQMs Running Total: 75535 Delta to 1K: 24465

So I’m out on a work trip to Baltimore. This flight was uneventful from the exit row aisle. As with most of the flights on Saturday, this flight was also packed with a few open seats. I made platinum on this flight and think that I would have made the upgrade if I wasn’t a gold. We will see how long it takes for my status to update. As of 3 ET on Monday, none of my Saturday flights have posted. I wonder if it is worth a call to mileage plus to see if they will give me platinum due to my return flights being Thursday and having a mileage run Friday.

On this 737-800 there was no directTV or economy plus, only dropdown monitors. While DirectTV is good, I actually prefer this because there is normally nothing on the TV worth paying for. (rare exceptions, sporting events or maybe primetime shows) My thighs and upper hamstrings are a bit sore at this point. I don’t think it really matters too much between F or Y because sitting for these long periods of time are still sitting.