FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz rigs fuel gauge to move super slow?!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:28 pm
wlau

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by dayone
+1. Show a timely gas receipt from a nearby station at check-in and there won't be a problem.
I always have receipt in hand but they don't care. When I raised the issue with the station manager, he said this is the new policy - supposedly too many customers purposely not fill up all the way because of higher gas price. If the gauge is not showing above FULL mark, they will top off using their own onsite gas station and bill you for the gas even after they closed out your transaction.

My problem is bigger with my last rental - the gauge is moving so slow, it's not showing anywhere near full when I returned the car. Like it said, if I wait 30min or so, it will eventually move to FULL.

And yes guys, I know certain cars have slow gauge - I have my own list:

1) VW Jetta seems to move slow.
2) Nissan's digital gauge is very slow
3) Chevy's new instrument cluster has gauge that will NEVER move above full - the highest position is dead on the pull mark, but this station claim FULL means "above full"

The car I rented this time was a Kia Forte - this seems to be the worst! I put in 3.6 gallons until the gun popped multiple times. The car won't take any more gas but the gauge looks like only 3/4 full.

If Hertz is not rigging the gauges, then this station is certainly taking this loophole to bill extra for gas that shouldn't be billed.