FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Backpacking Asia advice
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:39 am
Ryvyan

Originally Posted by moondog
I only wish that you had shown me the ropes during my trip last week. My data points:

hotel = $450/night
food = $250/day + $100 for room service
golf = $300/round
Tiger = $18/pint
taxi ride across the marina (10 minute walk) = $12

(All prices presented in USD.)
I live here, so that's moot. It really depends on your budget and comfort level when it comes to how much you spend.

Which hotel were you at that is $450/night? I would agree that hotels ARE generally quite expensive here as is public housing, and anyone who comes here needs to be prepared for that and budget accordingly. Regardless, hostels are not that expensive here which is what the OP wants. I can say that hotels are expensive in London, but I can also tell you that I stayed in a really cheap and great hostel off Oxford Street. Singapore is small enough to be near the train system or bus service that brings you where you need to go.

On your food $, that's plain ridiculous. Maybe your main sustenance was from high-end restaurants with overpriced+lousy house wine, but generally, restaurants here aren't that expensive. Basically, YMMV again because some people do not mind eating out at hawker centres/food courts which are an absolute steal for the portion and well, local flavour. Room service is always a rip-off.

Small island... pricey golf... It is not a very popular sport in this nation. I have no idea what the costs involve.

Alcohol is expensive here but $18/pint of Tiger is an absolute rip-off. Except in clubs, then that's standard. Sadly. Most people either go all for it when drinking in clubs, or they get a little bit drunk at a nearby convenience store or similar before heading to clubs. There are pubs/restaurants that serve up their own brewed beers and they aren't that pricey even.

Taxis are not that expensive, but the toll fees and peak hour charges and city fee surcharges can add up very quickly. Plus you're going to/from MBS, which taxi drivers hate for multiple reasons even if the extra surcharges are decent.

Sorry for going OT. I don't travel in expensive style ever so again, YMMV.