FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Backpacking Asia advice
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:40 pm
hiyo

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
I am going backpacking for the first time ever, and I will be going solo. This is all new to me, and yeah my itiniery keeps changing, but I am beginning to finalise things now. I will be heading out in Feb 2013, and hoping to stay out there for at least 3 months.

Staying in budget hostels, obviously, I will be allocating no more than £20 per night on accommodation. I currently have 83 nights planned which gives me roughly a 'bill' of £1660 for the hostels - and yet all my flights come to around £1800.

I plan to spend 28 days in Thailand/Cambodia, 20 days in Japan, 5 days in Seoul, 5 days in Beijing, 11 days in Malaysia, 14 days in Indonesia...and possibly 14 days in Australia added on at the end, if I can afford it.

LHR-BKK
Bangkok to Koh Samui to Phuket via train/bus/ferry
HKT-CNX
Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Siem Reap to Bangkok via bus
BKK-NRT
Tokyo to Hiroshima to Osaka to Kyoto to Tokyo via Shinkansen
NRT-ICN-PEK-KUL
Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi via train/bus/ferry
Langkawi to Penang via ferry
Penang to Kuala Lumpur via train/bus
KUL-DPS
DPS-SUB
Bromo to Yogyakarta to Bandung to Jakarta via train
CGK-SIN-SYD
Sydney to Queensland to Sydney via train(?)
SYD-SIN-LHR

Which parts of my itiniery are unrealistic?

In 83 days, how much £ would I have to allocate each day for transport/food/stuff?
Many years ago, I landed in Bangkok on the first leg of an ambitious three month backpacking journey through Thailand, Nepal and India. I never made it out of Thailand except to Penang on visa runs, and the 3 months became almost six.

Even if this is a perceived absolutely once in a lifetime gap year experience, I would lower my sights considerably. In 83 days see a little bit of a lot of Southeast Asia (Thailand, Cambodia,Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar) or see a lot of a little bit of the region (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam).

Don't fly so much.

And you list 25+ cities. Really?

Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia as one trip would be another option.
Or maybe Hong Kong, China and Vietnam?
I have not been to Australia or Japan (except Narita City).

If you go to Asia and you enjoy it, you will return.
If you go to Asia and dislike it, you will be happy you didn't bite off so much at once.