FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic-International connection
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:29 pm
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by tubbletian
Total newbie post, APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE! *cowers in corner and waits for abuse to stop)

So, I'm about to book a return flight MCO-ATL-LHR (I'm flying into NY from London so there isn't a connection). What is the connection process? I've never had a domestic-international connection, only international/international - where you get off one plane and get on another - just a security check but no baggage handling and all the paperwork taken care of already.

But my incessant googling and forum reading (my death by over-preparation will put an end to the phrase one day) has illuminated the process and I believe that I go through immigration in Atlanta since that is the flight taking me out of the country? And that at some point in that airport I need to touch my bags and do something with them (not sure what?). It's one ticket so the bags will be checked to LHR from MCO... right?

So, basically, what timeline am I looking at here? Flying Delta and I'm not a US citizen either. Thanks in advance!
In the USA, for intl > domestic (and intl > intl), you do need to clear customs and immigration at the connection, and recheck your bags. But that doesn't apply here.

The USA doesn't have any outbound immigration check.

For domestic to international, it's about the same as domestic to domestic. You'll check in at MCO, get both boarding passes, and your bags will be checked all the way through. All you need to do at ATL is walk to the departure gate, no customs or security, and you won't see or touch your checked bags. Your passport will be checked when you check in at MCO, and again when you board in ATL, but that's the only difference from a purely domestic flight.