FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experience on JAL 787 BOS-NRT?
View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:52 pm
JALPak
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bedelman
A friend took the JAL BOS-NRT nonstop recently. Plane was lovely, clean, and 3+ hours late -- completely destroying the time savings of the nonstop. What a shame to pay quite a bit extra for the nonstop, then not get the expected time savings. JAL staff at BOS was unhelpful, lounge was unavailable, really second-rate.

Also, no IFE was available and JAL's compensation offer to my friend was even less than what villox received (7500 JL JMB miles).

Seems to me JAL needs to improve reliability, of dispatch and IFE, in order to satisfy baseline passenger expectations. Would be interesting to look at on-time arrival stats for JAL 787's -- my sense is they may be worse than normal, surely problems that can be fixed, but very annoying in the short run.
I assume this is the same pissed off friend of yours who demanded a free one-way business class ticket as the compensation for a 3+ hours delay. 7500 miles is pretty standard and you can actually redeem a short-haul roundtrip economy class ticket with at least one partner right now. There should also be an option for JAL coupon instead of JMB miles as the compensation of IFE malfunction.

As I pointed out in the other thread, new aircraft types are expected to have problems that needed to be worked out at the beginning. That's the risk people have to take when flying new planes like 787.

And I found it hard to believe lounge was unavailable during the delay. Can you elaborate on that and the unhelpful ground staffs part please? Thank you.