FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Different Airlines – Same Routes – To Chicago with AA, BA and Hurricane Sandy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:05 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Hotel: Hyatt Regency O’Hare
Rate paid: $120++

Taken on the L heading into town. Like you can miss it anyway… (and yes, taken in daylight)

After being conned $10 for a 3 minute ride (Rosemont Cabs… bunch of…), I was at the front door of the Hyatt Regency O’Hare. After being greeted a bit roughly, I was met by the one of the usual doorman who greeted me warmly as he seemed to remember me.

Well, this is my usual haunt in Chicago…

My bags were taken off me, and it was up to the reception level where my perks were confirmed, and a 2pm checkout on the Sunday was offered (and taken), and 3 keys were cut for the room as I would have someone staying with me during the time I was at the Hyatt.

Initially, I was due to placed in the Executive Wing. Whilst this is a nice idea in principle, it’s a fair olde hike last thing at night when you’ve been busy. I requested (and got) a change to the main atrium, with a downtown view offered.

It also means I get access to a Double-Double room, on the 10th floor, with a balcony. This is equally important, because when you’ve got planes on approach and landing, it kind of helps with no glass and a camera with a zoom lens.

Again, I was greeted by the usual doorman who carted my luggage for me, and checked everything was ok.

Lets look at the room then. And if you’ve missed my previous mumblings about the basic Double-Double Room at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare… well, here it is again!

Going to the room on the 10th Floor, City View it was pleasant enough. Key access was via a RFID card (swish), and this has a lovely feature in that they don’t de-magnetise as often as the old magnetic keycards.

The room itself had two double beds in it (hence the name: a double double) and as usual, the beds darn comfortable – just the right balance of firmness and softness. Well the beds must had been good – I had trouble rousing my friend more often than not…

The work area was appointed as usual, and also on the work area was a card saying who prepared the room, and what facilities the hotel had to offer in case I’ve forgotten things (thankfully I didn’t, but still – a very nice touch)

Wall art - it's a United Express Avro/BAe146 Regional jet. Bless.

The Bathroom is your typical Hyatt Bathroom. And haters will hate when I say the following words.

White Ginger.

Me? I love the stuff. I know that a lot of my brethren however would rather head to Walgreens and pick up… well… anything other than that stuff. Still, the shower was plenty powerful, and it did the job waking me up.

Housekeeping were efficient, with rooms tidied and put back in a good condition each day, and all toiletries restocked (a little bugbear of mine).

And there’s one good reason to get a room with a city view on a high floor.

Internet connectivity was provided by the hotel – and was free for the basic package, with a paid for option. I went for the free package which was great… except in the International Level Convention Centre in the basement.

Which is where I tend to spend a lot of time during that weekend. Yes, I could pay for internet access, but I’ve paid once already through the hotel room already.

Speaking of the convention services team – once again the team did an amazing job. The staff at this level are professional to the point of being great, with humour and understanding of how to get things done.

Their assistance and knowledge was called on a couple of times – once when my CD Writer decided that the USB port that was soldered on it wanted to fall off… and once when… well. I’ll get to that bit soon enough.

Other hotels services like the hotel shuttle worked great when needed (with appropriate pick-ups and drop-offs being done as needed) , with the staff being friendly and courteous.

Check out was done quickly, with the hotel room paid part cash/part plastic with no unexpected items on the bill.

Overall: After a little dip a year or so ago, things are improving at this hotel. The staff remain its greatest asset, and the rooms still have the great Hyatt quality. Internet access remains an issue at this property – least of all I object paying $25 a day for something that’s in my room rate.

Last edited by Kevincm; Nov 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm