FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $$$ based SM a total Croc.
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 pm
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dean1121
After the outrageous uproar that a $$$ based SM program might be in the works almost caused the DL FT board to melt earlier this year caused me to have some hope in the program. Remember those thousands of posts, some people posting 100's of times.

Well here we are with all the rumored deadlines passed and and still no significant changes to the program in this regard.

Who ever started this rumor and had "reliable sources" telling them all kinds of changes were coming should be banned from this forum. I call total BS on the whole thing.

If you have another opinion fire away but please refrain from telling us you know someone who knows someone that told your uncle a spend based program is in the works. It is total crap.

I will be the first to eat my words if I'm wrong. Obviously I am in the minority a change would put the "elite" back in SM because right now it is a diluted mess. Rollover alone tells me DL is not serious about looking after its loyal and significant spending members.

And no, I'm not complaining about lack of upgrades in the post. I get my fare share, love FCM but AA get most of my Intl now and that's a bummer because DL should be getting an extra 25K and another 100k from staff who's travel in influence.

Party on
Party on if you wish. I'm in more of a "calm before the storm" mindset.

[pure speculation]

My prediction is that we will see at least two if not three of the US legacy carriers switch over to a revenue-based system next year. My bet is that DL will switch. The other will be UA or US, and I'm leaning towards UA. My guess is that AA will not, being preoccupied with other matters.

If such a program comes to fruition, those carrying large balances will be badly burned no matter what the plan is for existing miles. You can be all but assured a conversion rate won't be favorable. And grandfathered miles haven't exactly had a stellar history.

[/pure speculation]

I've burned nearly three quarters of a million miles this year - and have done so at exclusively Low levels (with no small amount of work). My balance hit 4 digits this month.

At this point I view carrying large balances with airlines as the high risk option, and view it as much safer to bank points with programs that allow you to convert into miles if you wish - such as AmEx MR instead of DL. If DL makes no changes, then you're golden - just transfer the miles when you need them and party on like before. If DL hits the big red button to destroy the world, then at least you've got other places to go.

Last edited by javabytes; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm