FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A little Disappointed since they are supposed to be #1?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:30 am
A_Lee

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by username
I just did my first 2 OZ flights in C. QS service from LAX then intra-Asia on the new A330-300.

Don't get me wrong. It is not bad -- and definitely better than UA overall. However, I feel somewhat disappointed because it also did not knock my socks off. I expected more because of all the top rankings.

The service is very attentative, which is what you expect for many Asian carriers - whether it is NH, CX, CI, BR or SQ. I think a lot of the desire to please the customer is just in the culture.
I think most of the Asian carriers come very close to being at or near the top. So even though OZ was chosen as the best carrier in the world recently by some ranking organizations, it doesn't mean that they're ranked heads and shoulders above the rest. I think maybe that's where your expectations let you down. In any year I could see SQ or CX being named the top airline just as well as OZ. I myself prefer OZ, but there are others who would prefer the other Asian carriers. They all have their good and bad points, and it really comes down to personal tastes in deciding which one is tops for you.

Most certainly I agree with you about the AVOD not being up to snuff.

As for the quantity of food, I think it suits the typical Asian passenger fine. Some Westerners might be used to larger meals and find them a bit small, but I think most of their passengers will find them to be more than enough. There are always snacks available if you're still hungry, though likely not as good or satisfying as the meals.