FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interpretation of mobility impairment..
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:08 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I didn't realize the OP was looking for a discount, so I didn't mention it. I have never received any discount other than a free upgrade to business class once, years ago.
As jenpdx has stated, unfortunately North America does not offer discounts for people with disability. I have seen discounts for disabled people on many websites of railways and bus systems around the world. In some countries, the discounted is mandated by the government. Usually you are requuired to present some documentation at the time of purchasing or validating your ticket. The discount applies to the disabled person, as well a travelling companion/attendant/nurse. Documentation is usually an an ID issued by local or federal govt of that country. I commend governments who do that.

My father received tremendous amount of assistance as a senior citizen. He wasn't officially disabled as he didn't want to labeled one but he could barely walk or stand straight. He would call the metro station ahead. He would be met at the metro station by a Metro personnel, who helped him get out of a vehicle into a wheel chair. He was taken to the platform (via elevator) and wheeled on a specified location on the platform. The helper wheeled his chair into a special area right next to the driver. At the destination, he was wheeled off the train under direct observation of the driver so that there was no chance of an accident. He did get a senior citizen's discount. No many people used metro at his age and in his condition. He would tell me with such pride how we went to such and such place by metro.